Thursday, May 3, 2018

Novena to St. Dominic Savio - Day 7 (May 3)

*HOLY COMMUNION*

Help me, dear St. Dominic, to realize the priceless treasure Jesus has given me in HOLY COMMUNION.  It is a treasure always open to me.  Why then, should I starve myself spiritually when God Himself makes it so easy for me to receive Him?  How foolish I’ve been in the past to keep putting off Holy Communion; I must not let it happen again, because it is the source of my happiness, and holiness.  Please, help me dear St. Dominic to grow in Eucharistic love.  Amen.

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be,
St Dominic Savio, Pray for us.

*Practice*: ​Receive Holy Communion.  Ask Jesus to keep your heart pure.
🌹🌹🌹

Seventh day
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (Jn 13.34,35)

The Traits of a Soldier
“Preventing evil” is not always an easy thing. It takes courage and love. “Doing something positively good” is even more difficult. It takes courage and love; it also takes prudence, kindness and intelligence. Dominic tried it and it gradually learned it.
The way to and from prof. Bonzanino’s school to the Oratory and back was lined with a continuous parade of carriages and wagons and one often heard the screams, curses and even the blasphemies of carters.
Dominic’s companion saw him suddenly take off his cap and whisper a few words. He asked:
- What did you say?
- Did you hear that? Replied Dominic - That cart driver has just blasphemed. If I could get closer, I would tell him to stop, but I’m afraid it could get worse. So I said: Praised be Jesus Christ, to repair the offense against the Lord.
Another time, on entering via Barbaroux, Dominic heard a cart driver swearing like a Turk. At the third blasphemy he could bear it no longer and so he approached the man. He tried to smile and asked:
- Excuse me, can you show me the way to the Oratory of Don Bosco?
Before that smiling face, the big man broke off his string of curses and replied:
- I don’t really know, my boy, I’m sorry.
- So, could do me another favour?
- Happily, what’s that?
Dominic whispered:
- I would be very pleased, if, when you’re angry you don’t use such nasty curses.
The huge man was stunned; then he muttered:
- You are right. I’m an old blasphemer and that’s not good.
One morning the road was slushy because it had rained. Dominic was on his way to school with his companion when, over the din, he heard the sound of the Viaticum bell.
In those days, when the Eucharist was brought to some sick person as a comfort on his way to eternity, it was carried solemnly. A priest dressed in white walked under a small canopy, with the Host wrapped in an embroidered cloth. He would be accompanied by two altar boys carrying lighted candles and a bell. At that sound, Dominic along with the people present knelt down. But next to him was a soldier who remained rigid and impaled. Maybe he was afraid of getting his uniform dirty. Dominic then took out a white handkerchief from his pocket and spread it on the ground and with a smile invited the gentleman to kneel. The confused soldier knelt down too.
These incidents happened “outside” the Oratory. Some might ask but “inside the Oratory, among his companions did Dominic “do good”?
Don Bosco answered this question himself as he wrote the “Life” of Dominic immediately after his death. He declared: “Where there is a gathering so many youngsters there are usually some who are less educated, more ignorant, rude or afflicted with some illness that makes their companions shun them. Though it may not seem obvious, they do suffer being shunned and left alone. They are the most in need of friends, not the others. Well, these were Dominic Savio’s dearest friends. He approached them, kept them happy and encouraged them to join in the games…. If someone had matter he needed to confide to someone, Dominic was the one... If there was someone sick in the infirmary and a nurse requested, Dominic was always the most popular one.”

Time for Reflection
“To love others” is the second greatest commandment that Jesus gave us and it comes after the first: “Love God with all your strength above all else.” This love is rarely exercised in big things. It is manifested several times and in ordinary ways: clearing the table, making the beds, helping mummy clear out the garbage before going to pray, keeping company with someone who is sick, spending time chatting with a senior citizen, “making his day,” helping a classmate or a younger brother figure out a problem that he has not
understood. It sounds easy, however many of us let selfishness take over and others don’t care. It almost seems that we “don’t see them.” Do a little reflection: how many times yesterday have I thought of someone else? What do I want to concretely do, to get out of selfishness?

Moment of prayer
Saint Dominic Savio, you were able to overcome selfishness and think of others, being able to help them. Help me also to assist others in ordinary and hidden ways: in my family, school and my parish. Help me to observe the great “new commandment” that Jesus gave us.


No comments:

Post a Comment